[su_button url=”https://www.facebook.com/pg/HelloParentCo/videos/?ref=page_internal” target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#ffffff” color=”#395a7c” size=”7″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right” icon_color=”#fa4c40″]Check out more Kid Made videos on Facebook![/su_button]
Got summer tomatoes? We have a recipe for you! We think it combines the best parts of two kid favorites – pizza and quesadillas – and makes good use of the summer garden (or farmer’s market) bounty. And kids can take the lead on this one, as long as a grown up supervises the griddle! Dress some greens on the side and you’ve got dinner on the table in 15 minutes or less. Ahhhh, summer!
Makes 18 triangles
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 6 plain or whole wheat tortillas – burrito size
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Sliced pepperoni
- 2 roma tomatoes (or whatever you’ve got growing – heirlooms are great!) sliced into small circles or half moons
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 ½ cups seeded, diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried or fresh oregano
- ½ tsp dried or fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Place tortillas on a griddle or stove top pan on medium heat. Spread one or two tsp of ricotta cheese on one half of tortilla.
- Layer pepperoni, basil leaves, and mozzarella cheese on top.
- Fold tortilla over in half to make a half moon. Cook on one side until cheese starts to melt.
- Flip, and cook until both sides are golden brown and cheese is nice and melty.
- For salsa, combine chopped tomatoes, herbs, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Serve alongside quesadillas with a green salad!
You can add sliced zucchini, yellow squash, or green peppers to the quesadillas along with the basil if you like!