[su_button url=”https://www.facebook.com/pg/HelloParentCo/videos/?ref=page_internal” target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#ffffff” color=”#395a7c” size=”7″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right” icon_color=”#fa4c40″]Check out more Kid Made videos on Facebook![/su_button]
Have a budding chef looking for a challenge? Put that kid to work making pie! A classic lattice crust takes a little practice, but the results are worth the effort! Use your favorite pastry recipe, or just bring home a few pre-made crusts from the store to get started. Follow the steps in this video and let your kiddo wow the family with a fancy summer dessert!
Pie Crust Lattice
Prep Time: About 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30-45 minutes, depending on your pie recipe
Total time: 50-65 minutes
- Pre-made frozen pie crust, thawed and rolled out to 2 12-inch circles.
- Preheat your oven to 400
- Transfer one rolled-out crust to a 9 inch pie plate, letting some crust overhang all around.
- Press the crust gently into the bottom of the pie plate, and trim the extra from the edges, making sure you leave enough to cover the edge completely.
- Fill with your desired pie filling.
- Lay the remaining dough circle on a lightly floured surface and use a butter knife to cut into 10 fairly even strips.
- Lay 5 strips vertically across the pie filling. Starting with the left side, fold alternating strips back half way.
- Lay one strip horizontally across the center of the pie.
- Fold the strips back down, and fold back the alternate strips.
- Lay another strip horizontally across the vertical strips.
- Fold the strips back down, and fold back alternate strips.
- Repeat until all strips are used, and a crosshatch pattern has formed.
- Beat one egg, and use a pastry brush to coat top crust.
- Bake pie according to your recipe.