Imagine you’re unwinding from the day in your nail salon’s massage chair getting a pedicure. You’re in relaxation mode, then–ouch! The nail technician accidentally nicked the skin near your toenail. Days later, you discover your perfectly pedicured toe is extremely infected.Unfortunately, this is a reality for salon-goers. While there’s limited scholarly work about health risks at nail salons, scary stories have cropped up over the years, like a man losing his leg and dying after a pedicure and workers developing allergies to materials used in salons, leading the industry to revamp the standards in salons across the United States.