[su_button url=”https://www.facebook.com/pg/HelloParentCo/videos/?ref=page_internal” target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#ffffff” color=”#395a7c” size=”7″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right” icon_color=”#fa4c40″]Check out more Kid Made videos on Facebook![/su_button]
Strawberry season is fleeting, so make sure you make the most of it! We love this twist on strawberry shortcake, replacing the biscuits with sweet and buttery corn muffins! Get your kids to help bake a batch, then whip up some cream and let the strawberries work their early summer magic!
Strawberry Cornbread Shortcakes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: About 50 minutes
Yield: 12 shortcakes
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon, until everything is just combined. A few lumps are ok, you don’t want the batter to be too smooth.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners, and fill cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until tops are puffed and golden and a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer outfitted with the whisk attachment, whip ingredients on high until medium peaks form. Don’t over whip, or you’ll end up with chunks!
- 2 ½ cups hulled, sliced strawberries
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss gently to combine.
You can substitute soy, nut, or coconut milk for the milk, ½ cup applesauce to replace the egg, and use ¼ cup soy margarine, coconut, or vegetable oil to make these muffins vegan.
To plate the shortcakes, slice a warm muffin in half crosswise, then spoon on some whipped cream and layer on a few berries. Top with the muffins top, another dollop of cream and a berry or two.