[su_button url=”https://www.facebook.com/pg/HelloParentCo/videos/?ref=page_internal” target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#ffffff” color=”#395a7c” size=”7″ center=”yes” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right” icon_color=”#fa4c40″]Check out more Kid Made videos on Facebook![/su_button]
Give pizza night a summer switch-up! Hit the farmer’s market and make this fresh and tasty veggie focaccia! Feel free to customize the chopped veggies with your family’s favorites and, of course, more cheese is always welcome! Heading to a barbecue? Just bring the focaccia and salad separately and put it all together at the last minute. Ahhhh, summer!
Summer Salad Focaccia
Prep Time: 50 minutes including veggie prep and dough rising time
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 ½ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp salt
- 5-6 cups flour (or more)
- Preheat your oven to 400
- Add the yeast to the warm water in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the honey over the top and let sit for a minute or two.
- Whisk in the salt, the oil and a cup of flour.
- Gradually add more flour, a cup at a time, mixing with a wooden spoon, until the mixture comes together and starts to form a ball.
- Use your hands to mix in more flour until you can turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead, adding sprinkles of flour as needed to keep it from getting too sticky, for about 5 minutes, until you have a nice, springy ball.
- Clean and dry your mixing bowl, add a drizzle of olive oil, and place the dough in the bowl, turning it over to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a rimmed baking sheet and press down with your fingers.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and crisp to the touch. Let cool briefly.
- ½ cup red or orange pepper, diced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup tomato, seeded and diced
- ½ cup cucumber, seeded and diced
- ½ cup feta cheese
- ½ cup radicchio, chopped
- 2 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss all veggies together in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper together in a small bowl
- Pour over salad and toss again to coat.
- Brush the focaccia with a little bit of olive oil, and layer salad over warm focaccia and cut into pieces. Enjoy!
Feel free to play with the amounts of veggies and/or feta in the salad based on what you and your family like. Other tasty additions – pine nuts or chopped walnuts, a squeeze of lemon juice, any other fresh herbs you like, roasted corn, chopped roasted red peppers – you get the idea!
The focaccia recipe also works well with ½ whole wheat flour.